The Architecture

Castle facade with sundial, Lionhead

Architecture

The castle, situated next to the church on the Burgberg, forms jointly with the church a fortification. A four-winged building complex with a Renaissance core. Documented in 1178, Schloß Gobelsburg evolved from a castle in the 16th century. It was completely rebuilt in 1725 by Achaz von Ehrenreich.

Exterior Building
The castle presents itself today as a two-storey, four-sided building complex with a massive mansard hipped roof and a high compensatory base rising to the north. The main façade of the south tract is 13-axial with 5-axial protruding façade bays, with interlacing plaster work beneath the window roofing and in the fields following. In the middle-axis is a gabled portal with pilasters on the sides and the Zwettl Monastery coat of arms. A double coat of arms is also to be found in the gable field. The windows of the ground floor are furnished with baroque gratings.

In the lenticular courtyard are arcades with groin vaulting on the north and south sides, remains of the building from the 16th century. As a main accent to the courtyard in the north wing, a tri-axial central pavillion rises a half-storey higher, emphasized on the exterior and courtyard side in the upper storey by round-arch windows and oblique oval oculi between gigantic pilasters, respectively, standing volutes. In the raised part one can admire the sundial of 1743 (renovated in 1966). The entrance door is equipped with metal fittings and handles from around the middle of the 18th century. In the drive-through entrance hall, on the north side, a wrought-iron door with metal bands and hand grips is still retained from the 16th century.

Interior
One reaches the upper floor up a triple stairway with a wrought-iron grill from the middle of the 18th century. These grandiose rooms, of which there are six in number, are found in the south tract. In the south-west corner is the chapel with a stuccoed flat ceiling. There is an oval frame on the curved mirror containing the oil painting “The Birth of Christ” from Martin Johann Schmidt, from the middle of the 18th century. It is decorated with a sarcophagus altar, with a picture-frame altarpiece from 1769, with a side pilasters with volute extensions. The altar picture depicts “St. Bernard Before the Cross”, also from M. J. Schmidt.

The rooms in the upper storey are almost completey decorated with leaf work and interlacing stucco. The south tract is characterized by grooved flat ceilings with stuccoed or painted scenes from Roman or Greek mythology. A further characteristic of these rooms are the four tiled ovens from the second half of the 18th century. These are glazed in various colors, with partly unglazed, respectively, gilded interlacing decoration with figural additions.